Volunteer, Intern or Work Study

Application (pdf)


Learn more on how you can get involved


Please sign up for the next orientation to get a birds eye view of Centre Wildlife Care

Please call or e-mail to sign up for the next orientation

or centrewildlifecare@gmail.com.  Please plan to be there 2-3 hours. 

Centre Wildlife Care is looking for energetic, dynamic personnel who may be interested in veterinary medicine,  zoology, wildlife education and management , animal science or just willing to volunteer a helping hand.  Spring and summer are the busiest seasons for CWC.  During these months we receive multiple animals a day requiring a team effort. Currently several programs are provided to accommodate our busy, expanding center:

  1. Volunteer positions
  2. Summer Internships
  3. Spring/Fall Internships
  4. Externs during winter break and spring break
  5. Work Study positions


Animal care volunteers help feed the animals, prepare food, wash dishes, clean cages and/or transport.  Centre Wildlife Care, (CWC) takes in wild mammals, bird and reptiles.  Most volunteers help 2-4 hours per week at the center with animal care.  Some volunteer more hours.  The times that one would volunteer would vary depending on CWC's needs and the volunteer's schedule.  We ask that volunteers work the same shift on a weekly basis if they choose to do animals care.  We can also use volunteers for other tasks such as fundraising, animal transport, errands, grant writing, painting, computer work and other misc. tasks. 

Volunteer Requirements

Summer Internships

Centre Wildlife Care which provides care to over 1500 wild  birds, mammals and reptiles is looking for summer interns. Full time and part time internship positions are available for the summer semester at our facility located in Port Matilda, 10 miles from Penn State main campus.  Since CWC is a small rehabilitation facility, interns would be involved with all aspects of the rehabilitation process, which includes physical exams, care, feeding, cleaning, medical treatments, releases, etc.  Interns primary responsibility is to provide care to the wild animals undergoing rehabilitation which includes (but not limited to) care of educational animals,  hand feeding the orphaned babies and cleaning their enclosures.  In the summer, CWC receives hundreds of orphaned wildlife including song birds, water fowl, raptors, rabbits, deer in addition to rabies vectors such as raccoons and skunks to name a few.  Interns must be willing to work with all species (except snakes) and make sure all the animals receive the care that is required.  Interns must be willing to work both inside and outside to provide care to the animals and follow established protocols.  The possibility exists for interns, depending on their interests, to concentrate on special  projects.   It is not required to do the internship for credit.

Summer is the most interesting time to volunteer or intern because CWC gets 50% of the animals for the year in May and June in the form of orphaned baby wildlife.   Volunteers and interns will get experience feeding and handling a variety of orphaned baby birds and orphaned mammals.

Summer interns (full & part time) Part time Summer internships are 20 hr/wk for 13 weeks.  Full time internships are 40 hr/wk for 13 wks.

Summer Internship Requirements 

  • Internship Application due by March 1st
    • Volunteer Application
    • A letter explaining why you want to do an internship
    • 3 references which include name and contact information (that are not family)
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Attend the volunteer orientation
  • Background Check (FREE for volunteers)
  • RVS (rabies vector species) certification
    • Attend the RVS training (Offered every spring or summer)
    • Have proof of rabies vaccines or protective titer within the past 2 years
    • CWC provides discounted rabies vaccines...contact us for more information.
  • Be available the entire 13 weeks including weekends and holidays
  • Be available for additional training before the internship starts 
  • Animal care personnel have reliable transportation (i.e. your own vehicle)
  • It is NOT required for an intern to be a college student

Note:  Applications may be taken after March 1st if  positions are available. 

Spring/Fall Internships (different than summer)

If you are eligible, you can actually get credit for working at CWC while taking classes full time.  Talk to your advisor on how to set up an independent study or internship.  The amount of time required depends on how many credits and the department requirements per semester credits.   It is typically 40 - 60 hours/semester credit (depending on your department).  The hours are spread out over the semester.  Rabies vaccines are not required for this type of internship.  If you need an advisor, talk to Jana Peters at Penn State main campus at 814-863-4198 for assistance.

Spring/Fall Internship Requirements 

  • Internship Application due at the start of the semester
    • Volunteer Application
    • A letter explaining why you want to do an internship
    • 3 references which include name and contact information
    • Background Check (FREE for volunteers)
    • Animal care personnel have reliable transportation (i.e. your own vehicle)

Externship & Work Study

Externships are 40 hours during winter break or sping break and are usually done as part of a class.  Please contact your advisor or CWC at centrewildlifecare@gmail.com for more information.

Work Study Positions

If you are eligible for work study, you can get paid  to work at Centre Wildlife Care.  PSU students apply on e-lion or call the main campus financial aide office at 814-865-6301 for more information.

More Details


Housing is NOT provided. 


Personell must have their own transportation.  There is no bus service to the CWC location.


Volunteers and interns must be at least 18 years of age to work with the wildlife.

RVS (Rabies Vector Species) Certification

Any volunteers or interns who wish to work with rabies vectors (bats, raccoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes and ground hogs) must be RVS certified.  To be RVS certified, one must have recent rabies vaccine (or protective titer) and attend the RVS training.  Volunteers that are not RVS certified will not be working with rabies vectors.  Summer interns are required to be RVS certified.  Other volunteers are not required to be RVS certified, but encouraged to attend the training. 

RVS Training

Offered once a year in April or May.  

Tetanus Vaccines

It is recommended that volunteers and interns are up-to-date on their tetanus vaccines. (within the last 10 years). 

Wish List

AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon with the same products, prices, and shopping features as Amazon.com. The difference is that when you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice.

Here is the link to Centre Wildlife Care's wish list on AmazonSmile: https://smile.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3GW9RTDQLDVKQ/ref=cm_go_nav_hz

Or, here is a PDF of items if you would like to shop local.

RVS Training signup

Pre-registration is required. 

Deadline to register is May 12th, 2019

Sunday May 19, 2019

12:30 – 5:00 p.m.

Sign in 12:00-12:30 p.m.


Ramada Inn 

1450 S. Atherton St.

State College, PA 16801